Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wax on

Dear Children, let us stop saying that we love each other; let us really show it by our actions.
1 John 3:18

I practically live in my car these days. I spend A LOT of time driving between Nashville and Murfreesboro for class. I can honestly say that most of my meals take place while I am on I-24. Most people have an emergency kit they keep in their cars that include a flashlight, batteries, jumper cables, and other items. My emergency kit includes work out clothes, granola bars, school supplies, luggage, and half of the shoes I own... just in case. Like I said before, I live out of my car.

I had the biggest surprise and one of the nicest gifts given to me on Sunday. Lauren and Jerad called to say they needed to stop by and bring me something. When they got here, they pulled me outside and explained they wanted to wash my car. Being a single girl, this is not something that is on my "to-do" list. For one, I do not have the desire or the time to invest in washing my car. Secondly, I do not have any of the supplies to be able to wash my car, nor would I know what to buy to do this. Thirdly, I would gladly take it to a place to have others wash my car, if I knew where there was one in Nashville.
Lauren and Jerad explained that they wanted to wash my car for the reasons stated above. They know that a single girl does not have the ability to do this well. They also know how much time I spend in my car and wanted to give me a place that was clean and pleasant to be in. I was so shocked and surprised that I didn't really know what to say. They are so wonderful and would not let me say no. So Lauren and Jerad washed my car!

When I say that they washed my car.... I mean they detailed my car! They washed, waxed, vacuumed, cleaned, scrubbed, and shined my car. I think my car looks better now than it did when it came off the lot! My tires are so clean! My interior is like a different color! I can't believe it!

Being Young Life leaders , we are always looking for cheesy metaphors to include in one of our talks. My favorite one from the day came when Lauren noticed that my car did not LOOK dirty, but once they started washing it they noticed it really needed a good cleaning. That is how our lives are. They look "clean" and all together from the outside, but once you start washing away your sin, you see how dirty you really are. Another metaphor we talked about was for the wax and how it protects you from harmful elements. Yet another example is how the inside needs as much care as the outside of the car, yet me sometimes neglect that part (or I know that I usually do for my car).


I can't tell you how much this meant to me. This was much more than getting my car washed. This is God's way of telling me how much HE loves me! Lauren and Jerad totally SHOWED me His love. I can't explain it... but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment