Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Volunteer State

I am sorry for another blog post about the flood. I didn't want to write another one, because I think they can be a little depressing. But this blog is kinda like my journal or a scrapbook for my life and the floods have really been on my heart and mind. Sorry to like the 5 people who read my blog! HA!

I spent Saturday doing some flood relief. The damage was truly unbleieveable. I cried most of the time I volunteered (shocking I know). The area that I volunteered in was really bad off. The water line in the house came up to my eyes. One house that I worked on, had not even been touched yet. Water was still everywhere. It was so sad.

I was throwing away all her things, demolishing her house. But what she really wanted was someone to listen. She really wants a hug, and to know that someone is there to care for them. I have been overwhelmed by the number of people who have volunteered with the flood relief. I have heard amazing stories and seen the pictures, but I didn't think it would be this hard.

Tennessee is called the Volunteer State, and now I know why! I was so blessed by the other volunteers working as well as the people who we were helping. What a lesson of love, compassion, and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment